With over 400 million active monthly users and over 100,000 active communities, Reddit has emerged as one of the most popular social networks globally. Through a combination of social media, news and message boards, Reddit has created a unique community with highly engaging content.
Having said that, if you are not disciplined, it can be an incredible waste of time. Feeling like you need a permanent break? Here’s how to delete your iPhone Reddit account.
How To Delete Reddit Account On iPhone
To delete your iPhone Reddit account through the app, select the profile icon and then click Settings > Deactivate account > Yes, Deactivate. To delete Reddit through a web browser, select Settings > Account settings > Deactivate account. Then re-enter your username and password and select Deactivate.
Ultimately, you can either login to Reddit via the iPhone application directly or through your prefered iPhone web browser.
While both approaches will yield the exact same result, the web browser Reddit user experience is fairly poor and I therefore personally recommend using the application method.
Let’s review detailed step by step breakdowns with supporting images for both the application and web browser methods below.
How To Delete Your Reddit Account Using The iOS Application
The easiest way to permanently delete your Reddit account on your iPhone is through the Reddit iPhone application directly.
- First, locate the Reddit application on your iPhone home screen and open it.
- Next, click on the profile icon in the top left corner of the screen.
- Then, from the profile menu that appears, click on Settings in the bottom left corner of the screen.
- Finally, scroll to the bottom of the Settings menu and click on Deactivate account. A warning message will then appear that states ‘Once you deactivate your account, your profile and username are permanently removed from Reddit and your posts, comments, and messages are disassociated (not deleted) from your account‘. All that is left to do is click on Yes, Deactivate.
That’s it! You have now deactivated your Reddit account through the application.
It is also a good idea to remove the Reddit app from your iPhone as well. To do so, simply located the app, press and hold down on it, and select Remove App from the pop up menu.
How To Delete Your Reddit Account Using A Web Browser
If you do not have the app downloaded, another approach is to start by opening up Reddit in a web browser and deleting it there.
- First, navigate to reddit.com in your web browser of choice (i.e. Chrome, Safari, etc). You will notice an alert menu appear on the bottom of your screen stating ‘See Reddit in…‘ with two options, the Reddit App or your web browser (in my case Safari). Select your web browser.
- Next, select the three stacked lines (mobile menu symbol) in the top right corner of the screen and select Sign Up or Log In.
- Then, click the Log In link at the bottom of the screen where it says ‘Already a redditor?‘ and enter your Reddit username and password to complete the sign in.
- Once you are fully logged in, click the three stacked lines (menu symbol) in the top right corner again and then select Settings followed by Account settings.
- In Account settings, scroll all the way the bottom of the page and select the red DEACTIVATE ACCOUNT link.
- Lastly, you need to re-enter your username and password and check the box next to the statement ‘I understand that deactivated accounts are not recoverable‘. Then, as a final step, simply click the DEACTIVATE button in the bottom right corner of the screen.
That’s it! Your Reddit account has now been permanently deleted!
Feeling like you’re wasting too much time and wondering how to remove your Reddit account from your iPhone? Here’s two easy ways to permanently delete Reddit.
- Within the iOS Reddit application, select the profile icon and then click Settings > Deactivate account > Yes, Deactivate.
- While logged into your Reddit account on a web browser, select Settings > Account settings > Deactivate account. Then re-enter your username and password and select Deactivate.
If for any reason you are still having trouble after trying each of these methods, try contacting the Reddit admins directly for additional support.
Were you able to get rid of your Reddit account? If so, or if you were able to delete your account some other way, let me know in the comments section below!
Chelsea Ashbrook is a Senior Manager of Corporate Digital Experience at Genentech. Chelsea received her B.A. from the University of Connecticut and has spent the last 10 years working in the technology field.
Her professional experience spans information technology services, web content management, and platform development.
For the past decade, long before the work from home revolution truly began, Chelsea has been working in the technology field remotely.
This blog is her outlet to share her findings with you.